Solar Setup

Submitted: Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 13:16
ThreadID: 98427 Views:2273 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I currently run a waeco cf50, 100w panel and a crappy regulator. I'm about to upgrade to a cfx65 and would like to upgrade my regulator. I would also like to charge my 120ah battery from the alternator whilst driving.
Out system is independent of the car as we are rock climbers. We get to a camp site and place the fridge and battery under a tree and the solar panel in the sun and leave all day. Therefore leaving the fridge in the car is unsuitable as we need the panel out all day so it is only driving from home in Adelaide to the Grampians that the fridge is in the car but I'd like the ability to boost the battery charge from the car if we have long periods of cloud.
What are units like the redarc 1225 like as far as their solar regulator? Would this unit be able to be mounted adjacent to the deep cycle battery and connected to the solar panel and only plugged into a socket in the boot of the car for travel or when needed? Or would I be better off with a regulator like the Morningstar mppt 15amp, a good battery monitor and a seperator dc-dc charger in the car like a redarc 1220 or the projecta one?
Thanks

Benen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Barry 2 - Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 21:18

Monday, Oct 08, 2012 at 21:18
Hi Benen I can't help you with your question my Solar set up is different to yours.
When I was trying to figure out what was best for my situation I contacted Redarc via there web page / contact section sent an e-mail explaining my requirements and they replied quickly with a detailed solution. Also Piranha in Melb were a great help with advice towards a solution for my set up.

Hope this helps - Good luck

Barry - Southern Cross Dreaming.

AnswerID: 496325

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 14:36

Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 at 14:36
Hi Benen H,

My system is similar to what you want, and it goes like this, whilst driving the alternator charges the Fullriver 100AH battery mounted in the rear of the vehicle, this battery powers a Waeco 50 ltr fridge ( also mounted in the rear of the vehicle).

When the camper trailer is being towed the alternator charges the battery in the rear of the vehicle, and another 100AH battery mounted in the CT, connection via Anderson plug.

Whilst camping the 160w solar panels are attached via a regulator to the camper trailer, this provides power to the CT battery, and also the battery in the rear of the vehicle gets topped up via the regulator. the regulator senses which battery needs the charge and directs the power accordingly.

The CT battery is used for powering the 35ltr Waeco (used as a freezer), which is mounted into the CT, it also runs the camp lighting (Korr Lights) and Camp Shower.

The battery in the rear of the vehicle only powers the 50 ltr Waeco, which stays in the vehicle when we are camped.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Barry H
AnswerID: 496357

Sponsored Links